A dental implant is an artificial root of medically pure titanium or zirconium, which is placed in the alveolar bone of the maxilla or mandible and is capable of integrating completely with the tissues of the mouth. It serves for a crown or a prosthesis to replace missing or damaged teeth. It consists of a dental implant (osseointegrated) to the bone, a transepithelial abutment (fixation component that emerges from the gum) and the crown or prosthesis that covers the abutment and is visible.
This system is the fixed, definitive and most innovative option to replace the teeth for life, provided that the patient has an adequate care of the same and go to the pertinent reviews.
Depending on the quality of the patient’s bone as well as the stability that is achieved from the implant at the moment of its placement, what is called primary stability, there will be times where we will be able to do what is called an immediate load, that is to say in the same day to place the implant and the provisional crown and in this way reestablish aesthetics and function in an immediate way.
Advantages of dental implants
- It is the safest option to replace missing teeth.
- The implants last more than 20 years in 90% of the cases, always with a hygiene and exquisite reviews.
- Improves the quality of life and increases the self-esteem and confidence of patients.
- It helps to avoid the loss of the maxillofacial bone.
- For patients who need full dentures, dental implants are much more comfortable than removable dentures.
- They are made with 100% biocompatible materials that minimize rejection and favor the integration of the implant with bone.
- It is a painless procedure. The patients do not feel discomfort and the postoperative period is very bearable.